Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Tough Mudder Cold Weather Gear Review

One of the major concerns for me going into my Tough Mudder event last April was the weather.  Consider this; Tough Mudder event organizers plainly state that they will not cancel an event due to inclement weather, unless it's extremely dangerous.  Basically, anything short of tornadoes, lightning, hurricanes, etc.  So when Tough Mudder begins their schedule in February in the Southern states, you may experience a wide variety of weather and temperature possibilities.  Last year, TM held an event in Georgia that experienced freezing temperatures and high winds which made the course a living nightmare for those brave souls who challenged it.  

My event was in mid-April in Northern Ohio.  Considering how mild the winter was last year, I was unsure of what type of weather I was going to experience.  April in the Midwest can have 60's and sunny, or 30's and snowing.  And in fact, you can experience these wild fluctuations in a matter of days!  I had already decided that I was going to purchase some gear for the event and I was rather dismayed at the lack of credible information on the interwebs.  Tough Mudder reviews on other sites and blogs were filled with bad asses who felt the need to prove how hardcore they were by running a course in nothing but shorts on a 40 degree day.  To be honest, you really DON'T have to purchase any gear for these events if you don't want to.  TM encourages attendees to dress up in silly costumes and not take the event too seriously.  I agree with this mentality but I didn't follow it.  I wanted to be completely prepared for the conditions on the course and I did not want anything to hinder my ability to complete it.

I utilized Mudder Nation for most of my gear questions but that site was hacked a while ago and I believe it is still down as of today.  From the reviews and opinions I found online, I decided to purchase the following gear for my event:

Under Armour ColdGear Compression Crew
Under Armour ColdGear Compression Leggings
Vibram KMD Sport - Five Finger Shoes
Injinji No Show Toe Socks
Carhartt C-Grip Gloves

I will be reviewing each item so that you know how they worked for me on the course and whether they are worth the money for your event.

Under Armour ColdGear Compression Crew and Leggings

The Under Armour gear was the first stuff I decided to use, but it was the last stuff I actually purchased.  The main reason was that I simply did not know what the weather was going to be like on the day of the event.  In March the temperature was nearing record highs of the 60's and almost 70's.  I did not want to purchased ColdGear clothing if the temperatures were going to be above 50 degrees.  Eventually I decided to purchase them because I figured the temperature at 9 AM was still going to be cold enough.  Luckily, or unluckily, the temperatures ranged in the mid to upper 40's with light to moderate rain.  

The Under Armour clothing was AMAZING for the event!  The compression fit prevented any moisture from weighing me down and kept me warm for the beginning of the day.  Once submerged in water and mud, no amount of moisture-wicking fabric was going to keep me dry and warm but it served its purpose.  Bottom line is if you are running your event in temperatures 50 degrees or less, Under Armour is your best option.  One look at 80% of the Mudders in attendance will confirm this.

Vibram KMD Sport Shoes

I had read many reviews about footwear for Tough Mudder and I became convinced that the Vibram Five Finger shoes were the best bet.  The shoes mimic your bare feet but still give you the protection of a rubber sole that is molded for your exact fit.  Although they feel weird when you first try them, they become extremely comfortable and easy to run in as you wear them.  The Vibrams, or whatever shoes you buy for Tough Mudder, NEED to be worn in months prior to your event.  I cannot stress this enough.  You don't want to be forming a blister halfway through the event because your shoes were too stiff and unused.

I used the KMD Sports for 2 months prior to the event when I worked out and on runs.  The Vibrams, by their design, help to strengthen your foot instead of weakening with a ton of unnecessary padding and support.  The only issue I had was the event was at a quarry, so there were small rocks everywhere.  After 11 miles of stepping on rocks my feet were killing me.  That's not the fault of the shoe, but of the terrain I was running on.  Overall, I HIGHLY recommend these shoes for Tough Mudder.  

The Injinji Toe Socks were not necessary as most people choose to wear Vibrams by themselves, but I was persuaded by reviews online explaining the benefits of reduced friction while running.  They were a nice purchase and I find that I actually prefer wearing them with the Vibrams rather than without.

Carhartt C-Grip Gloves

I really felt that I was going to need a nice pair of gloves for protection on the walls, for gripping the monkey bars, and for generally going through the obstacles.  For protection, the gloves were great and the rubber grips were great on the walls and for yard work at home.  However, when the gloves got wet they were completely useless on any obstacle that required a strong grip (Funky Monkey, Hangin' Tough).  If I wear gloves for a future event, I'm thinking about a pair of fingerless kayaking gloves.  In summary, the gloves were not very helpful and they were easily the one piece of gear that I regret purchasing.

So, should you purchase a bunch of gear for your Tough Mudder?  The simple answer:  do your homework and make an educated decision.  I feel like Under Armour gear is great for cold weather events, although its probably not as necessary for warm weather.  You can complete a Tough Mudder event without needing gloves.  You cannot complete Tough Mudder without a good pair of shoes.  Whether you purchase the newest, state-of-the-art, heavily engineered running shoes, or Vibrams, or you wear your yard work tennis shoes, make sure your footwear is supportive and you have broken them in.  By the way, no cleats are allowed.  Don't even bother.

I hope this has been helpful.  I will be purchasing some new gear for my next TM event in June but it won't be much.  I will update the blog as these items are purchased.

Later


No comments:

Post a Comment