Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Final Gear Purchases, Training, and Mudder Essentials

With almost one month to the date until my event, it's pretty hard to express just how excited I am.  Every single day I am watching Tough Mudder videos, going on their website, going to the Mudder Nation website, and overall just becoming completely absorbed by this whole experience.  This has been a long road full of great successes (I am down 10 pounds since January!) and predictable failures (my long absence during the holidays).  When it comes down to it, I am glad I signed up for this event and now that it is finally coming up I am mentally ready for the challenge it presents.  Physically?  I am almost there.


The good news is that I am up to week 3 of the second phase of P90X.  Only 1 more week and then I move onto the last phase.  I have supplemented a couple days of my weeks to include more cardio and this past Sunday Jason and I went to a local High School and ran for a couple miles.  Keep in mind that I haven't "gone for a run" since Junior High and it's quite important that I become conditioned to do so by the event.  I thought two miles was a good start and our plan is to go 2-3 times a week and increase our distance each time.  If we can get to running 5 miles without stopping than I believe we will be ready.


I have updated the blog with my final gear purchases on the left column so you can see what I will be using for the event.  The gloves were my final purchase as I took some Mudders advice and looked at the Mad Grips gloves.  Unfortunately, Amazon was out of stock so I went with a similar brand and they will be arriving on Thursday.  The Under Armour shirt and leggings are great and I know that I will be warm enough for the event.  My advice to anyone looking to buy some gear for event:



  • You don't have to buy special clothing/gear for this event.  I did because I am taking this WAY too seriously.  There are many people who dress up in Speedos, Tutu's, etc.  
  • Comfortable shoes are key.  My personal recommendation are Vibram Five Fingers because they have worked so well for me and many others.  With the Injinji Toe Socks they are very comfortable and strengthen your foot as you use them.
  • Purchase gear that is weather-appropriate i.e. Don't buy Under Armour ColdGear leggings if you are running Tough Mudder during summer.  
  • I feel that gloves will be important for protecting my hands on the various wooden obstacles like Berlin Walls and Log Jammin.  By no means are they necessary.
Once I have completed the event I will list my opinions of all my gear choices and how they worked out along with a full review of pretty much every aspect of my experience.  

Also, a lot of people always wonder what they need to bring to the event.  Here is what I am packing (Keep in mind I am spending Friday night at a local Motel 6.  I hope they leave the light on for me...)

  • Basic Toiletries
  • Gear for the event
  • Directions to the event
  • Photo ID for event registration
  • Copy of registration confirmation email
  • Change of clothes for post-event activities (Hoodie, jeans, skull cap...stay warm)
  • Towel
  • Trash bag to store muddy clothes and shoes
  • Gatorade/Energy Bars (My friend Paige will be spectating so he will bring these on the course for us)
This is all I have for now.  Tough Mudder stresses that you bring a photo ID and your confirmation email to the event so that you can sign in.  I'm bringing all of my important documentation (ID, directions, hotel confirmation, etc.) in a folder to keep it organized.  Once again, I will post about the whole race-day procedures after I actually do the course so you can get a clear idea for how the event works.

That's it for now.  I am in my final training phase for the event which will mainly be focused on increasing my cardio endurance.  I will still have 2 days out of the week to focus on resistance training but at this point I don't think it's as important as being able to run for long distances.  I will post again soon as we get closer to the event but at this point it will be to update my training.  Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment