Monday, October 17, 2011

Of Quitting Insanity, Sicknesses, and Shin Splints...

So it has been about a week since my last post and although I don't feel too bad about it, I do feel some explanation is necessary.


First off, let me just say that I think Insanity is a great workout program.  Being so cardio heavy, you are almost guaranteed to lose weight and lose it fast.  As long as you stick with the nutrition and continue to press play every day, while consciously trying to improve your daily performance, it can be very satisfying.  I cannot say anything bad about the program itself.  The reason I am stopping is because of Shin Splints.  There were days in the last week or two that I completed when I felt like my shins were on fire, even while laying down watching TV.  Not to mention the pains that started in my ankles and feet.  Only now have the dull pains finally subsided.  This is not the fault of the program but with my own body.  My legs simply cannot handle the day to day stress that these workouts present.


I stopped posting and working out last week because I got sick again.  This time of year always sucks for me because of the changing weather.  Living in Michigan you tend to have wild swings in temperatures which negatively affect my sinuses.  So I dealt with a cold for most of last week which finally went away on Saturday.  


So what comes next?  I officially have 179 days before Tough Mudder and I need to seriously start losing weight and gaining strength.  I have decided to begin a round of P90X as I had the most success with that program.  I have been missing resistance training and it will be nice to go back to the program that gave me the best results.  It is my plan to do a full round of P90X followed by some cardio training.  Whether I go back to Insanity, do P90X doubles, or just start running more is up in the air at this point.  I need to complete this program now without skipped weeks or excuses.  If I don't do it I simply will not be ready for Tough Mudder.  It is time to suck it up and BRING IT!!


I have deleted the Insanity countdown and test result links on the right as they are no longer relevant.  You can still go back and view the 3 weeks of posts that I did complete.  


My full focus is now on P90X and pushing harder than I ever did during my first round back in 2009.  I promise you that I WILL NOT stop this program before 90 days.  

No comments:

Post a Comment