Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Insanity Day 2: Plyometric Cardio Circuit

Just so you know, there is a fitness test you are supposed to do before you begin the workouts proper.  I completed the test back in August and I didn't feel like doing it again for, most likely, the same results.  Needless to say I could complete the exercises but I know that I have a long way to go before I get better at them.


Anyways, DAY 2!  I setup the spare bedroom for this program because it receives good airflow and the carpet is easy on the joints.  The first real workout is Plyometric Cardio Circuit.  The word "Plyometric" sends a shiver down my spine due to it's appearance in P90X.  


I guess when you purchase a workout program called "INSANITY" you would be foolish if you didn't know what you were getting yourself into.  The first five minutes of the workout introduced me to what interval training is.  Periods of high intensity, ass-kicking, sweat-inducing moves followed by a measly 30 second break for water.  I mean holy SHIT...the friggin' warm up is brutal!  The intervals usually have 4-5 moves that you do in succession for 30 seconds each.  After the aforementioned 30 second water break, you repeat the same sequence of moves, only this time at a faster tempo.  One more break and then you repeat again at maximum speed.


I was a mess by the end of the warm up with about 25 minutes to go.  25 brutal minutes of various squats, jumps, and the dreaded circuit #1.  Think lots of push ups, with jumps in between, and in/out ab moves.  At a minute and repeated three times along with the other moves not mentioned, this sucker is a killer.


The scary thing is as I was watching the video, the people that are working out (who are extremely fit by the way) are friggin' dying.  They're taking breaks during the moves, drinking tons of water, and all I'm thinking is "I'm screwed."  If they're having such a hard time and they look like that, how is there any hope for me?!  The simple answer is that there never was any hope but I can only do these moves at my speed for now and maybe down the line I will improve.  I guess we will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment