Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Insanity Day 15: Fitness Test #2

Fitness Test #2 is in the books and I saw some definite improvements from the first one.  Now keep in mind that you will do these tests every two weeks of the program and this being my second one, I wasn't expecting major improvements.  However, like everything else in the program, I was rather surprised by the results on my record sheet.


In switch kicks and power knees I was able to increase my rep count by over 20 each!  Suicides Jumps by 10 and the highlight, Low Plank Obliques by over 30!  I was pretty amazed at the improvements that I have made in just two weeks.  It really shows how effective this program is if you really push yourself.  However, I was laughing during the Power Jacks because my original total (57) seemed utterly ridiculous to me, especially after I wasn't able to overcome that total this time.  Honestly I think I was cheating on the move during the first test because there is no way I could have done that many the first time.


Overall, I feel that the Fitness Test is a necessary tool for you during the Insanity Program because it is the only written record of the improvements that you make.  There are times during the program (I have had a few already) that you will become discouraged due to soreness, fatigue, and the overall difficulty of the workouts.  Being able to take the test and complete the moves with higher rep. counts than the previous time allows you to see the advances you are making.  


On a side note, my lower legs have been taking a beating lately and I think I've developed chin splints.  The Insanity Program is very tough and for someone like me who had not worked out in over a year, this was probably inevitable.  I had similar soreness when I would do Plyometrics in P90X.  Since Insanity is like doing Plyo every day...well, you can easily draw the conclusions.  I think I'm going to start a regimen of icing my chins and ankles to reduce the soreness.  I strongly recommend that you do these workouts on carpet and with comfortable cross-training shoes.  You need the support because this program is tough on your legs.


So I am into week 3 now and halfway through the first month of the program.  Time isn't flying by but that lovely Recovery week is now visible on the horizon and I look forward to it.  A week of not having to do Pure Cardio and Cardio Resistance sounds like heaven right now...but that's not for 2 weeks.  Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment